Fresh off making his solo DJBooth debut with the reader-approved Calls, Blue Note songwriter, producer and pianist Robert Glasper returns with another left-of-center cut off his forthcoming LP. The title of new single I Stand Alone is slightly deceptive; though the joint does indeed deal with the feelings of isolation that come with life in the spotlight, it finds the artist flanked by two collaborators who can undoubtedly relate. Windy City rap veteran Common delivers thoughtful verses over the headliner’s jazzy, keyboard-led grooves, and Fall Out Boy frontman Patrick Stump lends his vocals to the record’s chorus. On the back, an unknown interlocutor offers some heady reflections on creativity, spirituality and African culture. For I Stand Alone and many more innovative jams, check out Glasper’s Black Radio 2 LP when it hits record stores and online retailers October 29.
Written by richard on 09/24/13
Submit your Rating
Blue Note Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Wrong, No Right" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.