Fresh off making his solo DJBooth debut with the reader-approved Calls, Blue Note songwriter, producer and pianist Robert Glasper returns with another left-of-center cut off his forthcoming LP. The title of new single I Stand Alone is slightly deceptive; though the joint does indeed deal with the feelings of isolation that come with life in the spotlight, it finds the artist flanked by two collaborators who can undoubtedly relate. Windy City rap veteran Common delivers thoughtful verses over the headliner’s jazzy, keyboard-led grooves, and Fall Out Boy frontman Patrick Stump lends his vocals to the record’s chorus. On the back, an unknown interlocutor offers some heady reflections on creativity, spirituality and African culture. For I Stand Alone and many more innovative jams, check out Glasper’s Black Radio 2 LP when it hits record stores and online retailers October 29.
Written by richard on 09/24/13
Submit your Rating
Blue Note Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Wrong, No Right" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.