When a musical act has the word “experiment” in its name, you can assume you’re in for something out of the ordinary, and potentially in conflict with mainstream tastes. While Calls, the debut feature from the Robert Glasper Experiment, certainly lives up to the first part of that formula—it ain’t your average R&B joint—all but the narrowest-minded listeners should be able to appreciate its mellow, cozy vibe. The collective’s production, a keyboard-driven groove with a subtly shifting time signature, accompanies Grammy-winning soul songstress Jill Scott as she celebrates a man who never fails to pick up when she’s on the line. Feeling it? More innovative, ear-pleasing cuts await on RGE’s Black Radio 2 LP, due out October 29, via Blue Note Records.
Written by richard on 08/6/13
Submit your Rating
Blue Note Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Wrong, No Right" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.