When a musical act has the word “experiment” in its name, you can assume you’re in for something out of the ordinary, and potentially in conflict with mainstream tastes. While Calls, the debut feature from the Robert Glasper Experiment, certainly lives up to the first part of that formula—it ain’t your average R&B joint—all but the narrowest-minded listeners should be able to appreciate its mellow, cozy vibe. The collective’s production, a keyboard-driven groove with a subtly shifting time signature, accompanies Grammy-winning soul songstress Jill Scott as she celebrates a man who never fails to pick up when she’s on the line. Feeling it? More innovative, ear-pleasing cuts await on RGE’s Black Radio 2 LP, due out October 29, via Blue Note Records.
Written by richard on 08/6/13
Submit your Rating
Blue Note Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Wrong, No Right" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.