When a musical act has the word “experiment” in its name, you can assume you’re in for something out of the ordinary, and potentially in conflict with mainstream tastes. While Calls, the debut feature from the Robert Glasper Experiment, certainly lives up to the first part of that formula—it ain’t your average R&B joint—all but the narrowest-minded listeners should be able to appreciate its mellow, cozy vibe. The collective’s production, a keyboard-driven groove with a subtly shifting time signature, accompanies Grammy-winning soul songstress Jill Scott as she celebrates a man who never fails to pick up when she’s on the line. Feeling it? More innovative, ear-pleasing cuts await on RGE’s Black Radio 2 LP, due out October 29, via Blue Note Records.
Written by richard on 08/6/13
Blue Note Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Wrong, No Right" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.