When a musical act has the word “experiment” in its name, you can assume you’re in for something out of the ordinary, and potentially in conflict with mainstream tastes. While Calls, the debut feature from the Robert Glasper Experiment, certainly lives up to the first part of that formula—it ain’t your average R&B joint—all but the narrowest-minded listeners should be able to appreciate its mellow, cozy vibe. The collective’s production, a keyboard-driven groove with a subtly shifting time signature, accompanies Grammy-winning soul songstress Jill Scott as she celebrates a man who never fails to pick up when she’s on the line. Feeling it? More innovative, ear-pleasing cuts await on RGE’s Black Radio 2 LP, due out October 29, via Blue Note Records.
Written by richard on 08/6/13
Blue Note Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Wrong, No Right" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.