I like weird, far-out sounds as much as the next guy – maybe more, depending on the ‘next guy’ – but damn, do artists like Robbie Casablanca make my job difficult. Simply put, if there’s a neat label that describes what the Philly-based newcomer is doing on his latest single, I don’t know of it. As best I can describe it, Hello Forever is a nightmarish collision of rap and rock – not nightmarish like Weezy‘s Rebirth, which was just bad, but in the sense that it’s actually kinda terrifying. Andrew “Pop” Wansel and Oak (the beatsmiths behind Trey Songz’ Unusual) man the boards, cooking up a claustrophobic mix of dissonant guitar riffs (from Hendrix classic Purple Haze), skittering synths, frenetic percussion and reverb-drenched howls. Casablanca comes with rhymes to match, lacing the beat with a dense, diabolical brand of braggadocio: “Motherf*cker shoulda run in the first place / Heavy in the game, I walk and cause earthquakes / and I’m so insane in the worst way / One of my thoughts could make the whole Earth shake.” If this unhinged selection’s piqued your interest, more is on its way; Casablanca’s latest mixtape, #NoTurbulence, drops June 20.
Written by richard on 05/9/11
Submit your Rating
Private Stock Ent./Goooooooo Music
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.