Rob Roy isn’t your typical hip-hop artist – for example, he name-checks Jungian psychoanalysis and says things like “I have an almost unhealthy obsession with negative space” in off-the-cuff interviews – but don’t let his cerebral style intimidate you. I mean, I’m intimidated, because I’m the one who has to tell you what he’s all about; all you have to do is hit “play” on Carmencita and bask in his creativity. In fact, I encourage you to do just that. While the new Dim Mak signee’s current single is the kind of record that only reveals its secrets after repeat spins, that doesn’t mean it won’t grab and hold your attention from bar one; Rob and Luke Walker‘s subterranean boardwork sets a mood of slow-burning intensity as the artist shows off his distinctive vocal style, traversing the rapping/singing spectrum with eccentric grace and showcasing a complex pen game in the process. The end result is intriguing, to say the least; but enough out of me – are you feeling it? If so, you’ll definitely want to pick up a copy of debut LP King Warrior Magician Lover (released Oct 26), as well as checking out Carmencita‘s surreal video accompaniment.
Written by richard on 12/1/10
Submit your Rating
Dim Mak Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Robert Raimon Roy" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.