It may not be the most popular position to adopt in an urban-music game often critical of American policy, but Booth newcomer Ro James is a proud patriot. Of course, the Southside Jamaica, Queens representative’s understanding of the term is a little different than that of, say, Toby Keith. Not only does the singer’s brand of patriotism not involve cowboy hats, pickup trucks or the creepy veneration of Ronald Reagan, but it doesn’t even have anything to do with the U.S. of A. As he informs us on newly-released EP video single Pledge Allegiance, the true object of his loyalty is a certain woman. Written by James in collaboration with Jessyca Wilson, Jourdanne and Booth regular Rocki Evans, this record finds veteran beatsmith Kwame serving up an intricate, atsmopheric synth instrumental to as the artist puts his right hand over his heart and reaffirms his fidelity to the girl he loves—in the process, showcasing vocal pyrotechnics to rival your local Fourth of July fireworks show. Does this soulful selection make you feel that little bit prouder to be an American (or, if you’re not American, a little more jealous)? Then don your Old Glory lapel pin and keep your browser locked to The DJBooth for the latest on Ro’s forthcoming, yet-unscheduled Coke, Jack & Cadillacs EP.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.