It may not be the most popular position to adopt in an urban-music game often critical of American policy, but Booth newcomer Ro James is a proud patriot. Of course, the Southside Jamaica, Queens representative’s understanding of the term is a little different than that of, say, Toby Keith. Not only does the singer’s brand of patriotism not involve cowboy hats, pickup trucks or the creepy veneration of Ronald Reagan, but it doesn’t even have anything to do with the U.S. of A. As he informs us on newly-released EP video single Pledge Allegiance, the true object of his loyalty is a certain woman. Written by James in collaboration with Jessyca Wilson, Jourdanne and Booth regular Rocki Evans, this record finds veteran beatsmith Kwame serving up an intricate, atsmopheric synth instrumental to as the artist puts his right hand over his heart and reaffirms his fidelity to the girl he loves—in the process, showcasing vocal pyrotechnics to rival your local Fourth of July fireworks show. Does this soulful selection make you feel that little bit prouder to be an American (or, if you’re not American, a little more jealous)? Then don your Old Glory lapel pin and keep your browser locked to The DJBooth for the latest on Ro’s forthcoming, yet-unscheduled Coke, Jack & Cadillacs EP.
Written by richard on 09/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)