If you took high-school English, there’s a good chance that, at one point or another, you’ve found yourself hunched over over a Shakespeare text at 11:45 PM, struggling to translate the Bard’s much-vaunted poetry into English. I mean, it’s already English but… real English. That’s when, if you’re smart, you turn to one of those No Fear guides, which feature the original text opposite an ordinary-language summary. On their latest mixtape leak, South Florida’s Rich Kid Sound System undertake a similar project, reimagining Bill’s Sonnet 27 in a format that’ll resonate with modern-day hip-hop-lovers. Over W0LFC0AT‘s breezy, bell-laced boardwork, crewmates Q, Dan and Leo paraphrase the poem from the perspective of up-and-coming artists on tour, separated from their respective loves; even when they lay down to sleep, their minds are still hard at work, straining to bridge the distance between them and the people they’ve left behind. Touching, huh? This unusually literary summer jam can be found on Rich Kid Sound System’s Death of a Frat Rapper street album, currently suffering delays as the project is being reworked—keep it locked for further details!
Written by richard on 05/30/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Little Bit of Time" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.