I know what you’re thinking: “A video from Rittz, and it’s titled ‘Paradise’? There must be a catch.” Nope—while the Slumerican/Strange Music emcee’s past output has always focused on gritty reality over glittering fantasy, it turns out that the often bleak tone was representative of his circumstances, not his general outlook. Having overcome many of the obstacles that were making his life a daily struggle, the A-Town native (and freestyle alum) sounds almost content on his latest feature, which was the inaugural leak off his March re-release of Booth-sponsored mixtape White Jesus. DJ Burn One mans the boards, blending bell samples with slow-rolling percussion as Rittz lets us know how great he feels now that he’s left his nine-to-five, cleared his head, and devoted himself to his musical dreams: “Funny how we was talkin’ bout quitting last year, and givin’ up on the wildest dream, but this year I’m seein’ a different alchemy / I see hope…” SpeakHer songstress Nikkiya guests, tying the record together with some smooth, hazy chorus vocals. White Jesus: Revival is out now, so what are you waiting for?
Written by richard on 09/20/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Full of Sh*t" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.