I know what you’re thinking: “A video from Rittz, and it’s titled ‘Paradise’? There must be a catch.” Nope—while the Slumerican/Strange Music emcee’s past output has always focused on gritty reality over glittering fantasy, it turns out that the often bleak tone was representative of his circumstances, not his general outlook. Having overcome many of the obstacles that were making his life a daily struggle, the A-Town native (and freestyle alum) sounds almost content on his latest feature, which was the inaugural leak off his March re-release of Booth-sponsored mixtape White Jesus. DJ Burn One mans the boards, blending bell samples with slow-rolling percussion as Rittz lets us know how great he feels now that he’s left his nine-to-five, cleared his head, and devoted himself to his musical dreams: “Funny how we was talkin’ bout quitting last year, and givin’ up on the wildest dream, but this year I’m seein’ a different alchemy / I see hope…” SpeakHer songstress Nikkiya guests, tying the record together with some smooth, hazy chorus vocals. White Jesus: Revival is out now, so what are you waiting for?
Written by richard on 09/20/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Full of Sh*t" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.