Rite Hook may be new to The DJBooth, but the combination of his stage name and the title of his new single tell you all you need to know about the Boston representative—specifically, that he’s a scrap-happy emcee who can take it as well as dishing it out. Making its world premiere right here on our front page, Lay It on Me is a gauntlet thrown at the feet of the entire industry… and whoever else in the vicinity happens to be ready for a fight. Over a Rob Whitaker beat whose lazy, keyboard-fortified oom-pah rhythm sounds like the instrumental equivalent of a schoolyard taunt, the Leedz Edutainment signee comes out swinging, delivering rhymes that would be utterly juvenile if they weren’t so skillfully phrased: “Oopsie, made a mistake, but my f*ckups are better than your mixtapes / Sh*tfaced, let ‘em get a swing on me, then you gonna miss and I’ll dis’ you b*tch / You’re a disgrace.” Rite Hook may be spoiling for a fight but, with bars like these, I doubt he’ll be met with much resistance in the Booth. As always, though, y’all get the final say. Those who like what they’re hearing should keep it locked for more quality tunes leading up to the summer arrival of his latest LP, The Other Side.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Strange Clouds (Remix)" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.