Rite Hook may be new to The DJBooth, but the combination of his stage name and the title of his new single tell you all you need to know about the Boston representative—specifically, that he’s a scrap-happy emcee who can take it as well as dishing it out. Making its world premiere right here on our front page, Lay It on Me is a gauntlet thrown at the feet of the entire industry… and whoever else in the vicinity happens to be ready for a fight. Over a Rob Whitaker beat whose lazy, keyboard-fortified oom-pah rhythm sounds like the instrumental equivalent of a schoolyard taunt, the Leedz Edutainment signee comes out swinging, delivering rhymes that would be utterly juvenile if they weren’t so skillfully phrased: “Oopsie, made a mistake, but my f*ckups are better than your mixtapes / Sh*tfaced, let ‘em get a swing on me, then you gonna miss and I’ll dis’ you b*tch / You’re a disgrace.” Rite Hook may be spoiling for a fight but, with bars like these, I doubt he’ll be met with much resistance in the Booth. As always, though, y’all get the final say. Those who like what they’re hearing should keep it locked for more quality tunes leading up to the summer arrival of his latest LP, The Other Side.
Written by richard on 04/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Strange Clouds (Remix)" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.