Rite Hook may be new to The DJBooth, but the combination of his stage name and the title of his new single tell you all you need to know about the Boston representative—specifically, that he’s a scrap-happy emcee who can take it as well as dishing it out. Making its world premiere right here on our front page, Lay It on Me is a gauntlet thrown at the feet of the entire industry… and whoever else in the vicinity happens to be ready for a fight. Over a Rob Whitaker beat whose lazy, keyboard-fortified oom-pah rhythm sounds like the instrumental equivalent of a schoolyard taunt, the Leedz Edutainment signee comes out swinging, delivering rhymes that would be utterly juvenile if they weren’t so skillfully phrased: “Oopsie, made a mistake, but my f*ckups are better than your mixtapes / Sh*tfaced, let ‘em get a swing on me, then you gonna miss and I’ll dis’ you b*tch / You’re a disgrace.” Rite Hook may be spoiling for a fight but, with bars like these, I doubt he’ll be met with much resistance in the Booth. As always, though, y’all get the final say. Those who like what they’re hearing should keep it locked for more quality tunes leading up to the summer arrival of his latest LP, The Other Side.
Written by richard on 04/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Strange Clouds (Remix)" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.