Brooklyn has been home to some of the dopest emcees to ever touch a mic, and the future’s looking just as bright as its past. BK rhymesayers Rilgood and Maffew Ragazino are here to prove that there’s still something in the borough’s drinking water that breeds lyricism on new release, Who Should I Be. Produced by Woodro Skillson, who I think we can safely say is the first producer to take his name from Woodrow Wilson, puts together a slowly paced and deeply soulful beat, placing a heart felt vocal sample over piano lines and punching drums. For their part the two rappers take an increasingly rare tact in hip-hop, honesty, letting listeners tag along as they try to find their place in the world both as men and artists: “Livin like I’m dreamin, dancing with the devil / everyday I exorcise (exercise), workin out my demons.” Those feeling inspired to yell “where Brooklyn at?!?” can go back and cop Rilgood’s recently released JFK mixtape as well as look forward to the release of his Great Expectations album, due out this July.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/22/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)