Decades have passed since Huey P. Newton and company patrolled the Oakland streets with shotguns to protect their neighborhoods from the police, but the spirit of the Black Panther struggle lives on in Booth newcomer Rilgood, who reopens the possibility of a radical solution to racially-motivated violence on new video single Gun. A “democratic protest [song]” dedicated to the late Trayvon Martin, finds the Brooklynite rhymesayer speaking out against he brutality of the white justice system over RC Bankwell‘s provocative flip of a song sung by Panther children in documentary film The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975: ”Pick up a gun, put the pig on the run.” Fellow BK native B. Smith echoes his message on verse two, and Palmirie Films’ Lerighton Pope creates some gritty, black and white visuals to match. Find yourself raising your first right along with the emcee? More revolutionary bangers await on Great Expectations, released earlier this month for free digital download.
Written by richard on 09/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.