Decades have passed since Huey P. Newton and company patrolled the Oakland streets with shotguns to protect their neighborhoods from the police, but the spirit of the Black Panther struggle lives on in Booth newcomer Rilgood, who reopens the possibility of a radical solution to racially-motivated violence on new video single Gun. A “democratic protest [song]” dedicated to the late Trayvon Martin, finds the Brooklynite rhymesayer speaking out against he brutality of the white justice system over RC Bankwell‘s provocative flip of a song sung by Panther children in documentary film The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975: ”Pick up a gun, put the pig on the run.” Fellow BK native B. Smith echoes his message on verse two, and Palmirie Films’ Lerighton Pope creates some gritty, black and white visuals to match. Find yourself raising your first right along with the emcee? More revolutionary bangers await on Great Expectations, released earlier this month for free digital download.
Written by richard on 09/7/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.