Decades have passed since Huey P. Newton and company patrolled the Oakland streets with shotguns to protect their neighborhoods from the police, but the spirit of the Black Panther struggle lives on in Booth newcomer Rilgood, who reopens the possibility of a radical solution to racially-motivated violence on new video single Gun. A “democratic protest [song]” dedicated to the late Trayvon Martin, finds the Brooklynite rhymesayer speaking out against he brutality of the white justice system over RC Bankwell‘s provocative flip of a song sung by Panther children in documentary film The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975: ”Pick up a gun, put the pig on the run.” Fellow BK native B. Smith echoes his message on verse two, and Palmirie Films’ Lerighton Pope creates some gritty, black and white visuals to match. Find yourself raising your first right along with the emcee? More revolutionary bangers await on Great Expectations, released earlier this month for free digital download.
Written by richard on 09/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.