What has Black Jays singer Darryl Riley been up to since he brought us the Kardinal Offishall-assisted Boom Boom back in March? Quite a bit, actually. Though the T-Dot native’s forthcoming full-length has yet to receive a title or solid release date, the artist has cut his stage name down to the slimmer (and harder to Google) Riley, and he’s also… picked up the Auto-Tune?! No, your ears don’t deceive you; new single Crowded Room (making its world premiere in the Booth!) is drenched in the infamous effect but, studio assistance or no, the artist’s soulful vocals shine. Backed by Soundsmith‘s stark, driving synth/handclap accompaniment, the rising R&B star spits game to an alluring female, hoping to separate her from the pack for a little alone time. With a catchy chorus and a beat guaranteed to get bodies moving, this track has plenty to recommend it to club-pop heads, but the question remains: did D.O.A. truly drive a stake through Auto-Tune’s heart, or can a record prominently featuring the effect still succeed on its own merits? Debate away!
Written by richard on 09/28/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Boom Boom ft. Kardinal Offishall" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.