I fully realize that this is one of the most mawkish statements ever typed by human fingers but, in a world plagued by war, hunger and natural disasters, it is, in a way, remarkable that two people can find happiness in one another’s arms. But don’t take it from me; take it from pop starlet Rihanna, who celebrates the ability of romance to blossom in the most unlikely environs on We Found Love, the lead single off her yet-untitled sixth LP. A pounding exercise in dancefloor-packing minimalism, this high-energy cut finds Scottish singer/songwriter/DJ/producer Calvin Harris layering syncopated synths over four-on-the-floor percussion as RiRi celebrates the fact that she and a special someone could come together, even in such a “hopeless place” (Granted, she doesn’t explain what makes it so hopeless—anywhere with “yellow diamonds in the light” can’t be that bad, can it?). It all builds up to one of the most colossal singalong choruses since, I don’t know, Fire Burning—I have a feeling I’m gonna be humming this one later today. So, does this club banger bode well for Rihanna’s next full-length, due out in November? Whatever your take, you can count on the Booth to keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 09/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Umbrella ft. Jay-Z" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.