Rihanna was a superstar in her own right, but the Chris Brown assault made her perhaps the most watched young woman on the planet. So when Rihanna drops a new single, and it’s off a mysterious upcoming album, and it was produced by Ne-Yo, and it’s accompanied by what can only be described as porn-esque photo, well, let’s just say I’m surprised the Internet didn’t explode today. Flashing lights aside, Russian Roulette is a sparse, dark track that explodes into a cinematic chorus, a task Rihanna doesn’t sound completely up to, especially without a memorable hook. In other words, Russian Roulette’s momentum alone will likely make it a hit, but I’m not convinced it’s actually that good of a track. By the way, I’ve got money that says her new album Rated R outsells Chris Brown’s next project, whatever that is. Revenge is a dish best served on the Billboard charts. Keep it locked to DJBooth for all the latest from the unbelievably famous Rihanna.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/20/09
Let’s talk about the night of February 8, a night that now hangs over everything Rihanna does like a guillotine. That night, as Rihanna and Chris Brown left a pre-Grammy party in Los Angeles, the couple reportedly got into...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Umbrella ft. Jay-Z" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.