Rihanna was a superstar in her own right, but the Chris Brown assault made her perhaps the most watched young woman on the planet. So when Rihanna drops a new single, and it’s off a mysterious upcoming album, and it was produced by Ne-Yo, and it’s accompanied by what can only be described as porn-esque photo, well, let’s just say I’m surprised the Internet didn’t explode today. Flashing lights aside, Russian Roulette is a sparse, dark track that explodes into a cinematic chorus, a task Rihanna doesn’t sound completely up to, especially without a memorable hook. In other words, Russian Roulette’s momentum alone will likely make it a hit, but I’m not convinced it’s actually that good of a track. By the way, I’ve got money that says her new album Rated R outsells Chris Brown’s next project, whatever that is. Revenge is a dish best served on the Billboard charts. Keep it locked to DJBooth for all the latest from the unbelievably famous Rihanna.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/20/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Umbrella ft. Jay-Z" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.