When Eminem dropped Recovery this past June, the world shook. While the album’s first single, Not Afraid, did beyond well, it was his controversial collaboration with Rihanna, Love the Way You Lie, that had the rare capability of breaking every record, while speaking on a serious issue that affects millions. Em gave us a peek into the mind of a man so unstable that he confuses love with abuse, while RiRi’s hook gave us a small look into the mind of a woman willing to put up with it. With Love the Way You Lie (Pt. 2), she returns to really get into the psyche of a victim, dynamically signing lines like, “It’s sick that all these battles/are what keeps me satisfied.” Alex Da Kid does relatively little to change the beat other than distorting and lowering some of the instrumentation in order for the words to penetrate even more, while Em returns to deliver a gripping guest verse. This offering off Rihanna’s upcoming release Loud (out November 9) is sure to spark discussions on domestic violence, and that’s far more important than breaking any sales record.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 11/3/10
The last time we gathered here to talk about Rihanna, for her largely hailed album Rated R, we were also talking about Chris Brown. The Caribbean princess was absolutely engulfed in the incident and America’s former...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Umbrella ft. Jay-Z" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.