Booth readers, meet the record that’s going to be blowing up radio airwaves everywhere for the next several months. Premiered earlier today on iHeartRadio, the lead single selection off Rihanna‘s seventh studio album is an outsized, anthemic ballad based around a double-decker simile: stars are just like Diamonds in the sky, which are just like the singer and this record’s anonymous addressee. Co-producers Stargate and Benny Blanco provide a beat to match RiRi’s visions of ecstasy, layering coruscating club synths over a slowly building, almost martial four-on-the-four percussion rhythm. A chirpy, catchy hook rounds out the package. Time to weigh is: after this foretaste, are you feeling good about Unapologetic? Debate away, and keep it locked for the latest in the lead-up to the project’s as yet-unscheduled release.
Update: We have added the Anthony Mandler-directed visuals for Rihanna’s Diamonds single.
Written by richard on 11/9/12
For seven years now Rihanna has moved slowly but surely from sweet, innocent, island-kissed crooner to a hard partying, headline generating, pop dominatrix. It didn’t happen overnight, but all the same, it happened. It’s...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Umbrella ft. Jay-Z" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.