Booth readers, meet the record that’s going to be blowing up radio airwaves everywhere for the next several months. Premiered earlier today on iHeartRadio, the lead single selection off Rihanna‘s seventh studio album is an outsized, anthemic ballad based around a double-decker simile: stars are just like Diamonds in the sky, which are just like the singer and this record’s anonymous addressee. Co-producers Stargate and Benny Blanco provide a beat to match RiRi’s visions of ecstasy, layering coruscating club synths over a slowly building, almost martial four-on-the-four percussion rhythm. A chirpy, catchy hook rounds out the package. Time to weigh is: after this foretaste, are you feeling good about Unapologetic? Debate away, and keep it locked for the latest in the lead-up to the project’s as yet-unscheduled release.
Update: We have added the Anthony Mandler-directed visuals for Rihanna’s Diamonds single.
Written by richard on 11/9/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Umbrella ft. Jay-Z" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.