Released in May as single numero quatre off the Bajan songstress’ Loud LP, California King Bed was Rihanna‘s shot at a power ballad—screaming guitar solo and all. So, why flip the record into a more traditional synth-pop anthem? As far as Goon Rock is concerned, the real question is…why the hell not? On this new,unofficial remix, the LMFAO affiliate reworks the hit record in true Party Rock style, trading The Runners’ guitar-heavy instrumental backdrop for a more dancefloor-suitable mix of bass-booming percussion, glossy synth chords and plenty of chanted ‘Oh‘s (I guess the guys who go “Ay!” were busy that day). The result packs nearly as much of an emotional punch as the original, not to mention considerably enhanced club appeal. But enough outta me—do you approve of Goon Rock’s club-ready reworking of RiRi’s cut? This remix isn’t slated for inclusion on any forthcoming project, but those who (for some inexplicable reason) have yet to pick up a copy of Loud can find it now at all record stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 06/23/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Umbrella ft. Jay-Z" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.