Nearly four years after parting ways in the midst of March 2008’s much-publicized domestic violence case, Rihanna has come together with former boyfriend and abuser Chris Brown on a new single, leaving fans everywhere wondering, what does it mean? My guess is “nothing”—it’s just two pop heavyweights coming together to make a hit—though the Terius Nash-penned record seems designed for the express purpose of encouraging speculation. The full-length version of a cut included on RiRi’s latest LP as a truncated interlude, Birthday Cake (Remix) finds Dance (A$$) producers Da Internz serving up a hypnotic synth-handclap backdrop for verses dripping with double (and single) entendres. While the headliner plays it relatively coy (“It’s not even my birthday, but he wanna lick the icing off.”), Breezy gets straight to the point: “Girl I wanna f*ck you right now / been a long time, I been missin’ your body.” Is this freaky selection appealing enough to rise above the gossip and controversy? Debate away. Whatever your take, you can hear the album version of Birthday Cake and much more on Rihanna’s Talk That Talk LP, available in stores and online as of November 2011.
Written by richard on 02/21/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Umbrella ft. Jay-Z" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)