Oft imitated but never equaled, the DJBooth Freestyle Series ran from February 2009 through June 2011. Its 250 total entries were the work of a veritable who’s-who of underground and emerging emcees, including rising stars like Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. Now, it’s back for a second round. The 19th entry in the relaunched series comes courtesy of Rickie Jacobs, the DMV buzzmaker who brought us Guy Code and Cartel. On Kill Switch, the unsigned rhymesayer spits introspective bars over a tuneful, piano-driven original beat by Mees Bickle. If this freestyle’s piqued your interest, you can hear more from Jacobs on acclaimed digital full-length Remember to Smile, released via The DJBooth in February.
Fred Lozano provides original artwork to accompany the release.
Written by richard on 05/14/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Malcolm X" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.