Contrary to what your high school biology teacher may have told you, being male isn’t simply a matter of what’s in your briefs (or boxers, or boxer-briefs, as the case may be). You’ve also got to comply with the all-important Guy Code. On a new single off his next full-length, DMV spitter Rickie Jacobs offers his take on the rules that define masculinity. Backed by Rosewood and Xenia Ghali‘s woodwind samples, he addresses such issues as whether to bring your girl to a guys’ night out at the club (F**k no.) and the attitude a man should take toward his haters (F**k ‘em.) After a false ending, the record takes an abrupt left turn; a blistering, dubstep-informed groove sizzles in the back as Jacobs showcases the more aggressive side of his flow. Samuel Rogers‘s artful visuals round out the package. For Guy Code and much more, cop Rickie Jacobs’s Remember to Smile LP when it drops digitally next Tuesday, February 18.
Written by richard on 02/11/14
DMV buzzmaker Rickie Jacobs has come together with The DJBooth, 86Draft and Triangle Offense to bring listeners his latest digital full-length, Remember to Smile. The project packs 12 original jams (plus one bonus track)...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Malcolm X" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)