For the three people who don’t already know, Florida rapper Rick Ross actually named himself after Ricky “Freeway” Ross, infamous drug trafficker of the 90s. The two even share the same frightening afro-beard. This week, born out of his continued affinity for drug-lords and kingpins comes the latest addition to Swizz Beatz’ Monster Mondays, The Transporter, a blatant celebration of the drug trade (surprise, surprise). Some dirty string samples and a bobbing baseline from producer Swizzy provide backing for Transporter, while the bear-like MC touts the life of a “Michael Corleone” as luxurious. Lyrically, Ross is himself, gloating about “couture”, a “shoe collection that’s too fly for the f**kin’ floor” and a “profit margin that’ll leave you ni**as starvin’”, all preceding a chorus that gives it up for drug dealers and addicts alike - think Push It to the Limit, but without JR Rotem’s flash. The Boss (and Swizz) is not at his best here, and, frankly, the message is starting to border on monotonous. Will better days be around the corner in Swizz’s weekly series? Keep it locked.
Written by CourtlandHH on 01/10/11
Submit your Rating
Maybach Music/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whip It" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.