For the three people who don’t already know, Florida rapper Rick Ross actually named himself after Ricky “Freeway” Ross, infamous drug trafficker of the 90s. The two even share the same frightening afro-beard. This week, born out of his continued affinity for drug-lords and kingpins comes the latest addition to Swizz Beatz’ Monster Mondays, The Transporter, a blatant celebration of the drug trade (surprise, surprise). Some dirty string samples and a bobbing baseline from producer Swizzy provide backing for Transporter, while the bear-like MC touts the life of a “Michael Corleone” as luxurious. Lyrically, Ross is himself, gloating about “couture”, a “shoe collection that’s too fly for the f**kin’ floor” and a “profit margin that’ll leave you ni**as starvin’”, all preceding a chorus that gives it up for drug dealers and addicts alike - think Push It to the Limit, but without JR Rotem’s flash. The Boss (and Swizz) is not at his best here, and, frankly, the message is starting to border on monotonous. Will better days be around the corner in Swizz’s weekly series? Keep it locked.
Maybach Music/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whip It ft. Rick Ross" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.