On Trilla, Rick Ross took inspiration from the best-selling album of all time, and it seems that the Boss may be modeling the follow-up after his former boss Jay-Z‘s debut album, Reasonable Doubt. In addition the similar suits they sport on their respective LP covers, most Booth-heads (and many hip-hop fans across the world) will immediately recognize similarities between Doubt lead single Dead Presidents and this newly-released cut off Deeper. On Usual Suspects, Ross continues Hova’s tradition of big-money talk, even bringing the rapper sampled on its hook (Nas) in for a memorable second verse. Frequent SoFlo hookwriter Kevin Cossom (whose exclusive interview is now live on the Booth) adds to the mood, and The Inkredibles renovate Ski‘s original beat, but add a modern Southern touch. Since Usual Suspects should have no problem picking up strong reviews (and high chart status) from the Booth, we can’t help but wonder if Deeper Than Rap will be the first 5-spin “Classic” album in DJBooth.net history. We’ll find out soon after it drops on April 21.
Maybach Music/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whip It ft. Rick Ross" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.