On Trilla, Rick Ross took inspiration from the best-selling album of all time, and it seems that the Boss may be modeling the follow-up after his former boss Jay-Z‘s debut album, Reasonable Doubt. In addition the similar suits they sport on their respective LP covers, most Booth-heads (and many hip-hop fans across the world) will immediately recognize similarities between Doubt lead single Dead Presidents and this newly-released cut off Deeper. On Usual Suspects, Ross continues Hova’s tradition of big-money talk, even bringing the rapper sampled on its hook (Nas) in for a memorable second verse. Frequent SoFlo hookwriter Kevin Cossom (whose exclusive interview is now live on the Booth) adds to the mood, and The Inkredibles renovate Ski‘s original beat, but add a modern Southern touch. Since Usual Suspects should have no problem picking up strong reviews (and high chart status) from the Booth, we can’t help but wonder if Deeper Than Rap will be the first 5-spin “Classic” album in DJBooth.net history. We’ll find out soon after it drops on April 21.
Written by Burmy on 03/31/09
Submit your Rating
Maybach Music/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whip It" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.