We’re just one month into 2009 and Rick Ross is already making brand new headlines. Following the announcement that his forthcoming third studio album, Deeper Than Rap, would not be released through his second label home at Slip-N-Slide Records (instead being delivered via his own label, Maybach Music, and its parent label, Def Jam), the self-proclaimed “Boss” openly dissed fellow emcee 50 Cent on his previously-featured street single, Mafia Music. With his career approaching a potential apex and his buzz at an all-time high, Ross has wisely leaked the first official single off Deeper, entitled Magnificent. Featuring the smooth, laid-back boardwork of Floridian production team J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League and a silky hook from R&B superstar John Legend, the record seems destined for radio success. In fact, it has the potential to work in the streets as well – how else can you explain Legend’s decision to subtly shout out “We The Best” behind the song’s chorus? We see you, Khaled.
Written by DJ Z on 01/29/09
Submit your Rating
Maybach Music/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whip It" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.