After dropping the Albert Anastasia EP, followed by his fourth studio album, Teflon Don, we figured that Rick Ross had (w)rapped up 2010. Well, we were wrong. Instead, Ricky decided to give fans an early Christmas present in the form of Ashes to Ashes, a mixtape loaded with eleven new tracks and featuring the likes of Wale, T.I., and Ludacris. Here at the DJBooth, we’d like to ring in the new year with one of the project’s standout cuts, Black Man’s Dream. Produced by Toronto’s go-to hitmaker Boi-1da, this heavy hitter is full of hard snares and snappy horns that provide the groundwork over which Luda and Ross lay eloquent, yet tough verses. Comparing himself to a mobster has become the norm for Ross (“Head of my family like a Don, Sicily”), while Luda provides a hook and an accompanying verse, both of which add the icing to this gangster rap cake known as a Black Man’s Dream. Will Ross top his epically successful 2010 in 2011? Only time will tell.
Maybach Music/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whip It ft. Rick Ross" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.