Featured back in July, Rich Boy‘s last single, To the Floor, was hailed by Booth readers as “ok,” “decent,” and “the definition of average.” Harsh. Well aware of the dangers of public indifference, the Mobile native’s set out to restore his artistic mojo through the time-tested strategy of feeding the streets fresh tunes – starting with inaugural mixtape leak Pharoahs & Kings. Here, a dark, lushly soulful arrangement by Charlie Red & KG (sampled from Eddie Holman’s Four Walls) sets the stage for rhymes considerably more complex than Rich Boy’s recent, liquor-and-booty-centric offerings. Viewing his dreams of fame and fortune through the lens of antiquity, the Southern mainstay laces the joint with vividly opulent (if occasionally anachronistic) images of his lavish lifestyle: “I’m at the palace with Cleopatra and Cinderella, and in the rain I open designer umbrellas..” Time for you to weigh in: has Rich Boy conquered listener apathy with this historical ode to high-rollerdom? If you think so, you’ll want to keep it locked to the Booth for the latest on his forthcoming street album, which has yet to receive a title or release date.
Written by richard on 11/29/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What It Do ft. Lil' Jon, Sean P & Cutt" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.