Ever since Rich Boy threw some Ds on his Lac in ’07, the Alabama emcee has struggled to replicate his initial success, but that hasn’t stopped him from trying. Undaunted by the poor performance of his last Booth offering S.O.C., Rich Boy is back yet again with his new single To the Floor, and if you’re looking for a hit, who better to recruit than hookmaster Lloyd and October’s very own Drake. Built around a lush beat from Polow da Don, To the Floor finds Rich Boy asking the ladies to drop their collective booties downward, albeit with lyrics that don’t always hit; he wants girls to drop it like Judge Judy? That sounds awful. While Drizzy does better, he also seems a little off his top game. Per usual the standout is Lloyd’s golden voice on the hook, but even that doesn’t feel like enough to me to transform this moderately enjoyable track into a smash hit. Then again, don’t be surprised if Rich Boy proves me wrong and pushes his upcoming album Buried Alive back into the mainstream spotlight. Lord knows he’s done it before.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/18/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What It Do" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.