Though countless artists have sought to “bring hip-hop back to its roots,” no mainstream act has been able to embody the genre’s late-80’s sound… until now. Eight New York City youngsters (Sur Fresh-A-Lot, Ms. Phenomenon, Kool Kidd, Lucky, Skytell 88, Joe Ski, Ill Will, and J-Smooth), ranging in age from 18 to 22, have come together to form the Retro Kidz. One listen to their debut single, New Era, and you might suspect that the group was recently thawed out after spending 18 years cryogenically frozen. Their secret? Re-live the hip-hop culture on a daily basis. It’s worth noting, however, that all producer Armand Van Helden did on the track was snatch up the bassline from Snap!’s urban-electronic pop smash, The Power. For more old-school sounds with new-school appeal, hop into the DeLorean and take a ride Back to the Future this fall.
Listen to More: Retro Kidz
Written by Burmy on 06/23/08
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.