When an emcee has as much to say as REKS, the 16-bar verse often seems like little more than a stultifying convention. Today, we get to hear what happens when the Boston rhymesayer breaks out of that box and, sure enough, the results are glorious. Part of his forthcoming collaborative set with Hazardis Soundz, this new single sees the Queens beatsmith serving up a head-noddable, sample-laced beat as REKS rattles off a whopping 54 uninterrupted bars. Over the course of his extended verse, he mixes cocksure braggadocio and battle rhymes with more personal ruminations. On the front, he lets his kids know just how much he’s missing them when he’s on tour: “Wish I could be there to kiss you, distance the issue / Relentless the grizzle.” Feeling it? More intricate bars and quality beats await on Eyes Watching God, scheduled for independent release this coming spring.
Written by richard on 02/19/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.