When an emcee has as much to say as REKS, the 16-bar verse often seems like little more than a stultifying convention. Today, we get to hear what happens when the Boston rhymesayer breaks out of that box and, sure enough, the results are glorious. Part of his forthcoming collaborative set with Hazardis Soundz, this new single sees the Queens beatsmith serving up a head-noddable, sample-laced beat as REKS rattles off a whopping 54 uninterrupted bars. Over the course of his extended verse, he mixes cocksure braggadocio and battle rhymes with more personal ruminations. On the front, he lets his kids know just how much he’s missing them when he’s on tour: “Wish I could be there to kiss you, distance the issue / Relentless the grizzle.” Feeling it? More intricate bars and quality beats await on Eyes Watching God, scheduled for independent release this coming spring.
Written by richard on 02/19/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)