When an emcee has as much to say as REKS, the 16-bar verse often seems like little more than a stultifying convention. Today, we get to hear what happens when the Boston rhymesayer breaks out of that box and, sure enough, the results are glorious. Part of his forthcoming collaborative set with Hazardis Soundz, this new single sees the Queens beatsmith serving up a head-noddable, sample-laced beat as REKS rattles off a whopping 54 uninterrupted bars. Over the course of his extended verse, he mixes cocksure braggadocio and battle rhymes with more personal ruminations. On the front, he lets his kids know just how much he’s missing them when he’s on tour: “Wish I could be there to kiss you, distance the issue / Relentless the grizzle.” Feeling it? More intricate bars and quality beats await on Eyes Watching God, scheduled for independent release this coming spring.
Written by richard on 02/19/14
Massachusetts rhymesayer REKS and Queens-born beatsmith Hazardis Soundz have come together with The DJBooth, Brick Records and DJ Deadeye to bring listeners their latest collaborative street release, the All Eyes on REKS...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.