If you, like myself, are a little rusty on your 1980s popcorn movies, I’ll save you a trip to Wikipedia; Martin Riggs & Roger Murtaugh are the mismatched LAPD officers whose exploits are chronicled in the Lethal Weapon series. On a freshly-leaked standout off REKS’ latest LP, the Boston vet reenacts that cinema classic enlisting a Northeastern buzzmaker to play the Mel Gibson to his Danny Glover. (At least, I assume he’s Danny Glover—considering he was sprouting Grey Hairs on his sophomore set, I think it’s safe to say he’s “...too old for this sh*t!”) Fresh off lending his production stylings to singles by 1982 (Thug Poets) and La Coka Nostra (My Universe), Statik Selektah works his usual retro magic on the production tip, crafting a cinematic piano/string beat to back the emcee as he trades rich, detailed street lyricism with Flushing phenom Action Bronson. Different they may be, but together they prove as effective at murdering mics as the title characters are at apprehending perps. For more bangers from REKS and his label boss (who produces the entire set), check out Straight, No Chaser, released to record stores and online retailers today via Showoff/Brick Records.
Written by richard on 04/24/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.