Boston’s REKS may have sprouted a few More Grey Hairs since he first hit the scene, but his latest single sees him still determined to grind his way to the top of the industry. The underground emcee sums up his artistic mission statement with a quote from Harry Dixon Loes’ gospel standard: “this little Light of Mine, I’m gonna let it shine.” DJ Sprino‘s mellow jazz sax and soulful vocal sample add a nostalgic vibe as REKS dedicates his autobiographical rhymes to all the “on-the-corner street scholars” doing whatever it takes to move up in the world. Celebrating the creative impulse that compels individuals to express themselves against all odds, but acknowledging the struggle that lies between inspiration and success, REKS turns out a record that will ring true to anyone on their grind. Whether you’re an aspiring artist or simply a lover of old-school hip-hop, you’ll want to check out REKS’ third studio album, More Grey Hairs, when it hits stores this spring.
Written by richard on 02/2/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.