Boston’s REKS may have sprouted a few More Grey Hairs since he first hit the scene, but his latest single sees him still determined to grind his way to the top of the industry. The underground emcee sums up his artistic mission statement with a quote from Harry Dixon Loes’ gospel standard: “this little Light of Mine, I’m gonna let it shine.” DJ Sprino‘s mellow jazz sax and soulful vocal sample add a nostalgic vibe as REKS dedicates his autobiographical rhymes to all the “on-the-corner street scholars” doing whatever it takes to move up in the world. Celebrating the creative impulse that compels individuals to express themselves against all odds, but acknowledging the struggle that lies between inspiration and success, REKS turns out a record that will ring true to anyone on their grind. Whether you’re an aspiring artist or simply a lover of old-school hip-hop, you’ll want to check out REKS’ third studio album, More Grey Hairs, when it hits stores this spring.
Listen to More: REKS Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!