Boston’s REKS may have sprouted a few More Grey Hairs since he first hit the scene, but his latest single sees him still determined to grind his way to the top of the industry. The underground emcee sums up his artistic mission statement with a quote from Harry Dixon Loes’ gospel standard: “this little Light of Mine, I’m gonna let it shine.” DJ Sprino‘s mellow jazz sax and soulful vocal sample add a nostalgic vibe as REKS dedicates his autobiographical rhymes to all the “on-the-corner street scholars” doing whatever it takes to move up in the world. Celebrating the creative impulse that compels individuals to express themselves against all odds, but acknowledging the struggle that lies between inspiration and success, REKS turns out a record that will ring true to anyone on their grind. Whether you’re an aspiring artist or simply a lover of old-school hip-hop, you’ll want to check out REKS’ third studio album, More Grey Hairs, when it hits stores this spring.
Written by richard on 02/2/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.