Reks seems to be set to finally have his day. The Boston emcee’s upcoming album, R.E.K.S., boasts a ridiculous line-up of producers including DJ Premier, Pete Rock, Statik Selektah, and the man behind this song, Sha Money XL. Putting aside those who saw the title and immediately thought of that terrible Travolta/Cage movie, Face Off doesn’t deceive you; it’s Reks and fellow Bostonian emcee Termanology trading bars and bars and bars and bars…these two can probably go forever. Over big production with a chorus that rises over heavy piano keys and violin dips, the flows of the two emcees continually shift to fit the instrumental, bringing a grinding yet shining aspect to the song. You know those records that you recite when you’re alone, pretending the heat-rock lines are yours? This is that. So if you’re in need of some hard-nosed hip-hop inspiration be sure to cop R.E.K.S. (Rhythmatic Eternal King Supreme), set to drop this Tuesday, March 8. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to battle an imaginary emcee soon: “Jon in turn, get your earn, get you hearses ready…”
Written by Jon Garcia on 03/6/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.