It’s easy to stay on the straight and narrow when you’re living a life of privilege. In the trap, on the other hand, it’s a daily battle to stay out of the Devils Clutches. On a new single off his forthcoming full-length, REKS tells the story of a young man who fell victim, like so many others before him, to the promise of an easy way out of the ‘hood. Booth-approved beatsmith Hazardis Soundz provides a tension-fraught, arpeggiated-key instrumental to back the Boston rhymesayer’s cautionary tale, and DJ Heron mans the wheels of steel, flipping thematically-appropriate samples from Nas’ It’s Mine and One Love on the record’s hook. Eyes Watching God isn’t set to drop till early 2013, but those craving more fresh tunes from REKS can find what they seek on recent projects Straight, No Chaser (with Statik Selektah) and Rebelutionary (with Numonics).
Written by richard on 10/15/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.