REKS’ allegiance has always been to the gritty, lyrically-driven side of the East Coast sound, but he doesn’t let his underground bona fides keep him from enjoying life’s finer things. On newly-released album lead single Autographs, the Boston mainstay takes a page from the Beasties’ book, celebrating his ascent from the ghetto to the glamorous world of, “...limos, arenas and TV shows / Autograph pictures and classy hos.” Backed by the brass-fortified soul grooves of project collaborator Statik Selektah (“...the greatest of the DJs”), REKS raises a glass to his growing dynasty, packing his luxuriant bars with all the dazzling turns of phrase his fans have come to expect (In an impressive bout of alliteration and internal rhyme, he fires off, “Father forgive ‘em for not feelin’ the roster, the rawest since Rawkus before it lost its luster.”). Digging this soulfully luxuriant single? More intricate bars and scorching beats await on REKS and Statik Selektah’s Straight, No Chaser LP, out now via Showoff Records.
Written by richard on 05/29/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.