REKS’ allegiance has always been to the gritty, lyrically-driven side of the East Coast sound, but he doesn’t let his underground bona fides keep him from enjoying life’s finer things. On newly-released album lead single Autographs, the Boston mainstay takes a page from the Beasties’ book, celebrating his ascent from the ghetto to the glamorous world of, “...limos, arenas and TV shows / Autograph pictures and classy hos.” Backed by the brass-fortified soul grooves of project collaborator Statik Selektah (“...the greatest of the DJs”), REKS raises a glass to his growing dynasty, packing his luxuriant bars with all the dazzling turns of phrase his fans have come to expect (In an impressive bout of alliteration and internal rhyme, he fires off, “Father forgive ‘em for not feelin’ the roster, the rawest since Rawkus before it lost its luster.”). Digging this soulfully luxuriant single? More intricate bars and scorching beats await on REKS and Statik Selektah’s Straight, No Chaser LP, out now via Showoff Records.
Written by richard on 05/29/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.