REKS is no newcomer to The DJBooth. After being featured on the site 30+ times in the last year, and already a handful of few times thus far in 2013, he’s back with another new song. This time the Boston native brings us Ahead Of My Time, featuring C-Scharp and an extremely smooth beat courtesy of ATG. Rightfully titled Ahead Of My Time, lyrically the track encapsulates REKS’ struggles with a perfect line from a famous quote from the New York Times saying, “For every Michael Jordan born, there’s an Earl Manigault,” as the emcee goes on say that he took the fall for other artists like Nas, or even Biggie, who would be considered the “Neo’s of the Matrix” in the rap game. Sh*t’s deep. It may take you a few listens, but once you understand the meaning behind his lyrics it will amaze you. Expect more hard hitting, deep thinking hip-hop when REKS’ latest album, Revolution Cocktail, arrives on January 22.
Written by Jordon Norris on 01/15/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Can It Be" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.