It’s been nearly a decade since Talib Kweli and Hi Tek dropped their debut release as duo Reflection Eternal, the critically-acclaimed Train of Thought LP. Now, though, the twosome are Back Again, and plan to drop their long-awaited sophomore album, Revolutions Per Min, sometime this summer. True to its title, this early leak (Kweli and Hi-Tek’s first feature as Reflection Eternal) is essentially a reintroduction—Talib comes out swinging, reminding listeners just how much fresher he is than the rest in characteristically agile verses, and his braggadocio-laced lyricism is so infectious that you’ll find yourself nodding along reflexively as he spits “That’s right, we’re back again/ You can like rap again.” on the playfully provocative hook. It’s Hi-Tek’s boardwork, though, that makes the record into a perfect summer jam; driven by clattering percussion and a mellow, catchy sample on the hook, his Tropicalia-influenced instrumental mixed with Talib’s flow produces the amped up yet still chill aural equivalent of a refreshing blended cocktail—topped off with a little paper umbrella, of course.
Listen to More: Reflection Eternal Written by richard
Blacksmith Records/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just Begun" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.