It’s been nearly a decade since Talib Kweli and Hi Tek dropped their debut release as duo Reflection Eternal, the critically-acclaimed Train of Thought LP. Now, though, the twosome are Back Again, and plan to drop their long-awaited sophomore album, Revolutions Per Min, sometime this summer. True to its title, this early leak (Kweli and Hi-Tek’s first feature as Reflection Eternal) is essentially a reintroduction—Talib comes out swinging, reminding listeners just how much fresher he is than the rest in characteristically agile verses, and his braggadocio-laced lyricism is so infectious that you’ll find yourself nodding along reflexively as he spits “That’s right, we’re back again/ You can like rap again.” on the playfully provocative hook. It’s Hi-Tek’s boardwork, though, that makes the record into a perfect summer jam; driven by clattering percussion and a mellow, catchy sample on the hook, his Tropicalia-influenced instrumental mixed with Talib’s flow produces the amped up yet still chill aural equivalent of a refreshing blended cocktail—topped off with a little paper umbrella, of course.
Written by richard on 05/3/09
Submit your Rating
Blacksmith Records/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just Begun" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.