It’s been nearly a decade since Talib Kweli and Hi Tek dropped their debut release as duo Reflection Eternal, the critically-acclaimed Train of Thought LP. Now, though, the twosome are Back Again, and plan to drop their long-awaited sophomore album, Revolutions Per Min, sometime this summer. True to its title, this early leak (Kweli and Hi-Tek’s first feature as Reflection Eternal) is essentially a reintroduction—Talib comes out swinging, reminding listeners just how much fresher he is than the rest in characteristically agile verses, and his braggadocio-laced lyricism is so infectious that you’ll find yourself nodding along reflexively as he spits “That’s right, we’re back again/ You can like rap again.” on the playfully provocative hook. It’s Hi-Tek’s boardwork, though, that makes the record into a perfect summer jam; driven by clattering percussion and a mellow, catchy sample on the hook, his Tropicalia-influenced instrumental mixed with Talib’s flow produces the amped up yet still chill aural equivalent of a refreshing blended cocktail—topped off with a little paper umbrella, of course.
Listen to More: Reflection Eternal
Written by richard on 05/3/09
Blacksmith Records/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just Begun" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.