It’s been nearly a decade since Talib Kweli and Hi Tek dropped their debut release as duo Reflection Eternal, the critically-acclaimed Train of Thought LP. Now, though, the twosome are Back Again, and plan to drop their long-awaited sophomore album, Revolutions Per Min, sometime this summer. True to its title, this early leak (Kweli and Hi-Tek’s first feature as Reflection Eternal) is essentially a reintroduction—Talib comes out swinging, reminding listeners just how much fresher he is than the rest in characteristically agile verses, and his braggadocio-laced lyricism is so infectious that you’ll find yourself nodding along reflexively as he spits “That’s right, we’re back again/ You can like rap again.” on the playfully provocative hook. It’s Hi-Tek’s boardwork, though, that makes the record into a perfect summer jam; driven by clattering percussion and a mellow, catchy sample on the hook, his Tropicalia-influenced instrumental mixed with Talib’s flow produces the amped up yet still chill aural equivalent of a refreshing blended cocktail—topped off with a little paper umbrella, of course.
Listen to More: Reflection Eternal
Written by richard on 05/3/09
Blacksmith Records/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just Begun" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)