According to numerous songs over the decades, not many good things happen at midnight: corpses come out of the ground (Thriller), the freaks come out (thanks for letting us know, Whodini), and that’s just the start. However, there might be one good thing that happens when the clocks strikes twelve, at least on the latest single Midnight Hour from Reflection Eternal (rapper Talib Kweli and producer Hi-Tek). Over an upbeat, jazzy, minimally techno rhythm from Tek, Talib shows us a little bit of his cocky side while guest singer Estelle tells us that “it’s on” when she gets home. Whatever “it” is - playing checkers, having a pleasant conversation, perhaps - it must be pretty exciting. Ironically, Estelle is the track’s sole imperfection; without much range and a few pitchy notes, her voice doesn’t seem to suit the flow behind it. Replace her with Jill Scott or Chrisette Michele and this would have been flawless. But as is, it’s still damn good. Stay tuned for the release of Reflection Eternal’s upcoming album Revolutions Per Minute, due out May 18.
Written by Matty K on 04/1/10
Submit your Rating
Blacksmith Records/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Back Again" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.