According to numerous songs over the decades, not many good things happen at midnight: corpses come out of the ground (Thriller), the freaks come out (thanks for letting us know, Whodini), and that’s just the start. However, there might be one good thing that happens when the clocks strikes twelve, at least on the latest single Midnight Hour from Reflection Eternal (rapper Talib Kweli and producer Hi-Tek). Over an upbeat, jazzy, minimally techno rhythm from Tek, Talib shows us a little bit of his cocky side while guest singer Estelle tells us that “it’s on” when she gets home. Whatever “it” is - playing checkers, having a pleasant conversation, perhaps - it must be pretty exciting. Ironically, Estelle is the track’s sole imperfection; without much range and a few pitchy notes, her voice doesn’t seem to suit the flow behind it. Replace her with Jill Scott or Chrisette Michele and this would have been flawless. But as is, it’s still damn good. Stay tuned for the release of Reflection Eternal’s upcoming album Revolutions Per Minute, due out May 18.
Written by Matty K on 04/1/10
Blacksmith Records/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Back Again" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.