According to numerous songs over the decades, not many good things happen at midnight: corpses come out of the ground (Thriller), the freaks come out (thanks for letting us know, Whodini), and that’s just the start. However, there might be one good thing that happens when the clocks strikes twelve, at least on the latest single Midnight Hour from Reflection Eternal (rapper Talib Kweli and producer Hi-Tek). Over an upbeat, jazzy, minimally techno rhythm from Tek, Talib shows us a little bit of his cocky side while guest singer Estelle tells us that “it’s on” when she gets home. Whatever “it” is - playing checkers, having a pleasant conversation, perhaps - it must be pretty exciting. Ironically, Estelle is the track’s sole imperfection; without much range and a few pitchy notes, her voice doesn’t seem to suit the flow behind it. Replace her with Jill Scott or Chrisette Michele and this would have been flawless. But as is, it’s still damn good. Stay tuned for the release of Reflection Eternal’s upcoming album Revolutions Per Minute, due out May 18.
Written by Matty K on 04/1/10
Submit your Rating
Blacksmith Records/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Back Again" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.