According to numerous songs over the decades, not many good things happen at midnight: corpses come out of the ground (Thriller), the freaks come out (thanks for letting us know, Whodini), and that’s just the start. However, there might be one good thing that happens when the clocks strikes twelve, at least on the latest single Midnight Hour from Reflection Eternal (rapper Talib Kweli and producer Hi-Tek). Over an upbeat, jazzy, minimally techno rhythm from Tek, Talib shows us a little bit of his cocky side while guest singer Estelle tells us that “it’s on” when she gets home. Whatever “it” is - playing checkers, having a pleasant conversation, perhaps - it must be pretty exciting. Ironically, Estelle is the track’s sole imperfection; without much range and a few pitchy notes, her voice doesn’t seem to suit the flow behind it. Replace her with Jill Scott or Chrisette Michele and this would have been flawless. But as is, it’s still damn good. Stay tuned for the release of Reflection Eternal’s upcoming album Revolutions Per Minute, due out May 18.
Written by Matty K on 04/1/10
Blacksmith Records/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Back Again" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.