Heads who have followed the careers of Philadelphia emcee Reef The Lost Cauze or Queensbridge veteran Big Noyd hardly need to be told what the Northeastern underground mainstays stand for. Fortunately for those behind the curve, however, Reef takes this newly-released lead single (and first feature as a headliner) as an opportunity to bring the uninformed up to speed: “We’re from the slums, the gutter, the ghetto, the dirt… what you expect, it’s What We Rep.” Backed by the gritty but tuneful soul-sampled boardwork of No Love beatsmith J-$crilla, the collaborators pay tribute to their home streets in chilled-out but aggressive verses loaded with hard-nosed braggadocio and trash talk. Like what you’re hearing? You can find plenty more of Reef’s raw and uncut rhymes, along with the hard-hitting production stylings of $crilla and Stu Banga (together known as Guns-N-Butter) on aptly-named full-length Fight Music, scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers June 8.
Written by richard on 05/17/10
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)