The cold-blooded murder of Trayvon Martin is horrifying to anyone with a conscience but, for obvious reasons, the case is uniquely chilling to parents of African-American boys. On new non-album cut The Prey (For Trayvon Martin & My Son), Philly rapper and and father Reef the Lost Cauze identifies the slain 17-year-old with his own son, reflecting on the prospect of raising a black boy in a society that hasn’t progressed past the 1800s in terms of racial violence. Backed by an unknown beatsmith’s understated sample work, he expresses outrage and sadness at the latest in a long line of white-on-black killings (see also: Emmett Till, Sean Bell, Oscar Grant…), and wonders how he’ll prepare his child to live in a society that’s gunning for him: “My son is one-and-a-half, and he is beautiful / And because of that, I tell him that people are gonna screw with you / People are gonna hate your skin and try to ruin you / And now I gotta tell him that they just might shoot at you..” This bracing and deeply personal jam isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but fans can stay tuned to the Booth for more new music from the veteran rhymesayer in the weeks and months ahead.
Written by richard on 03/22/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.