Every so often emcees struggle for years to prove their worth, only to find themselves in a musical dilemma: they’re too high-profile to be classified as underground, but too under-the-radar to make the full crossover to mainstream. This usually tends to be a crippling disease, but street vet Redman breaks barriers in both directions, retaining the diehard fans he started with while consistently adding new ones. His latest single, Oh My, is the latest display of his versatility, featuring multilayered, big band production from Andrew “Pop” Wensel that’s unpredictable and persistent enough to match Red’s off-the-wall lyrics (Family Guy watchers will rejoice at hearing the Quagmire reference midway through). Above all, Red’s delivery still shows off the mixture of smoothness and power that he’s mastered since his 1992 debut. If this track receives the praise and promotion it deserves, fans new and old will be playing it on repeat. Look out for his upcoming album, Reggie Noble 9½, set to drop March 23.
Listen to More: Redman
Written by Matty K on 01/26/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let's Go" (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.