In the past few weeks, I and pretty much everyone I know have fallen victim to a nasty cold. Well, despite living halfway across the country, it looks like Red Cafe has caught what’s going around; today, the Brooklyn emcee’s back to inform us that “I’m Ill” in a soulful variation on a street single featured back in December ‘09. While the official remix retains Boi-1da‘s percussion-driven beat (sampled from Rob Base/EZ-Rock’s It Takes Two and Hova‘s A Billi), the presence of not one but two R&B singers gives the record a softer vibe. Apparently looking to catch what Cafe’s got, Claudette Ortiz expresses her desire to be “Closer to you…” (echoing the Carpenters’ Burt Bacharach/Hal David-penned hit) on the front end, while Ryan Leslie, appearing in the Booth for the first time since the release of his Transition LP, contributes a characteristically smooth hook. Topped off with a verse by G-Unit rapper Lloyd Banks, this remix suffers from no lack of guest muscle, but is it an improvement on the Booth-panned original? I’ll let you decide. East Side Story, Cafe’s Bad Boy Records/Konvict/Interscope debut (formerly known as The Shakedown), has yet to receive a solid release date – keep it locked for the latest!
Written by richard on 03/31/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Diddy Bop" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.