Hip-hop always walks a fine line between sampling and copying, and Brooklyn rapper Red Cafe, who we haven’t heard as a primary feature since January’s Hottest in Da Hood, takes it to the next level on his new street single I’m Ill. On the production side producer Boi Wonda heavily uses a Jay-Z vocals as the track’s hook, while also pulling in a sample of Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock’s old school jam It Takes Two. On the lyrical side of the equation Café delivers some solid but largely uninspired verses, and while guest artist Fabolous brings his usual assortment of clever punchlines – “Still on my Grizzly, no Iverson” - truly knowledgeable hip-hop heads will catch a couple lines Loso lifted from other emcees (can you name them)? Is I’m Ill a dopely sampled tribute, or a bit of a rip-off? As always, I’ll leave it up to the Booth to decide. I’m Ill is tentatively apart of Red Cafe’s upcoming Bad Boy debut, The Shakedown, due out sometime in 2010.
Written by matt juss on 12/13/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Diddy Bop" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.