Hip-hop always walks a fine line between sampling and copying, and Brooklyn rapper Red Cafe, who we haven’t heard as a primary feature since January’s Hottest in Da Hood, takes it to the next level on his new street single I’m Ill. On the production side producer Boi Wonda heavily uses a Jay-Z vocals as the track’s hook, while also pulling in a sample of Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock’s old school jam It Takes Two. On the lyrical side of the equation Café delivers some solid but largely uninspired verses, and while guest artist Fabolous brings his usual assortment of clever punchlines – “Still on my Grizzly, no Iverson” - truly knowledgeable hip-hop heads will catch a couple lines Loso lifted from other emcees (can you name them)? Is I’m Ill a dopely sampled tribute, or a bit of a rip-off? As always, I’ll leave it up to the Booth to decide. I’m Ill is tentatively apart of Red Cafe’s upcoming Bad Boy debut, The Shakedown, due out sometime in 2010.
Written by matt juss on 12/13/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Diddy Bop" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.