Newly-signed to DJ Toomp‘s Nzone Ent, New Orleans up-and-comer RE (pronounced phonetically, not as an acronym) has stepped into the Booth to introduce himself with a track as appetizing as Willy Wonka’s lickable wallpaper – and much more sanitary. While mixtape leak Cali doesn’t seem to have much to do with snozberries or the Golden State, it’s hard to care once the track kicks into high gear; production crew Varsity Team deliver an adrenaline-pumping instrumental driven by breakneck percussion and brass fanfare while RE comes with rhymes to match, showing off his high-energy flows as he fills us in on just how much he’s enjoying the fruits of his labors: I’m actin’ like a n*gga who ain’t ever had sh*t / cause, duh, I ain’t ever had sh*t.” In a game where more and more artists are grappling with the dark side of success, it’s nice to see someone’s having a good time – what do you think, Booth readers? For more upbeat jams, check out RE’s Regeneration Mixtape, released May 11 and available now online.
Listen to More: REi
Written by richard on 05/13/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)