Newly-signed to DJ Toomp‘s Nzone Ent, New Orleans up-and-comer RE (pronounced phonetically, not as an acronym) has stepped into the Booth to introduce himself with a track as appetizing as Willy Wonka’s lickable wallpaper – and much more sanitary. While mixtape leak Cali doesn’t seem to have much to do with snozberries or the Golden State, it’s hard to care once the track kicks into high gear; production crew Varsity Team deliver an adrenaline-pumping instrumental driven by breakneck percussion and brass fanfare while RE comes with rhymes to match, showing off his high-energy flows as he fills us in on just how much he’s enjoying the fruits of his labors: I’m actin’ like a n*gga who ain’t ever had sh*t / cause, duh, I ain’t ever had sh*t.” In a game where more and more artists are grappling with the dark side of success, it’s nice to see someone’s having a good time – what do you think, Booth readers? For more upbeat jams, check out RE’s Regeneration Mixtape, released May 11 and available now online.
Written by richard on 05/13/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.