Talk about an appropriate song title; the latest single from Razah, the ex-Def Jam up-and-comer last heard on the Cops-inspired Bad Girls could have been named after the response it’ll invariably evoke from listeners: “Hey, I Remember that beat!” Say what you will about J.R. Rotem‘s decision to flip the same Annie Lennox sample (from No More ‘I Love You’s) as Papa Justifi did on Nicki Minaj‘s Your Love, though; the guy knows how to craft a pop-appealing record, and Razah knows how to sing on one. Over J.R.‘s synth-fortified arrangement, the Jamaican-born, Brooklyn-bred singer croons a tale of romance gone sour that, though predictable, is delivered with enough melodically soulful panache to make it worth mainstream listeners’ while. I think you’re seeing the pattern here. The big question, of course, is whether this joint’s execution is fresh enough to offset what some may perceive as a lack of originality – your thoughts, Booth readers? If you feel like I Remember stands on its own two feet, you’ll be able to hear plenty more on Razah’s Heart of a Champion EP, set to drop August 31.
Listen to More: Razah
Written by richard on 06/16/10
Just Us Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Life Is A Movie (Remix) ft. Various" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.