Talk about an appropriate song title; the latest single from Razah, the ex-Def Jam up-and-comer last heard on the Cops-inspired Bad Girls could have been named after the response it’ll invariably evoke from listeners: “Hey, I Remember that beat!” Say what you will about J.R. Rotem‘s decision to flip the same Annie Lennox sample (from No More ‘I Love You’s) as Papa Justifi did on Nicki Minaj‘s Your Love, though; the guy knows how to craft a pop-appealing record, and Razah knows how to sing on one. Over J.R.‘s synth-fortified arrangement, the Jamaican-born, Brooklyn-bred singer croons a tale of romance gone sour that, though predictable, is delivered with enough melodically soulful panache to make it worth mainstream listeners’ while. I think you’re seeing the pattern here. The big question, of course, is whether this joint’s execution is fresh enough to offset what some may perceive as a lack of originality – your thoughts, Booth readers? If you feel like I Remember stands on its own two feet, you’ll be able to hear plenty more on Razah’s Heart of a Champion EP, set to drop August 31.
Written by richard on 06/16/10
Submit your Rating
Just Us Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Life Is A Movie (Remix) ft. Various" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.