Back in January, when Raz Simone stepped into the Booth with Don’t Shine, I noted the way in which the Seattle repper’s passion for movie scores had influenced his sound. Little did I know, just a few short weeks later we’d find him rhyming over a composition by renowned film composer Hans Zimmer. On new mixtape single They’ll Speak, Raz repurposes Time, the theme song from 2010 blockbuster Inception, to serve as the backdrop for emotionally raw bars chronicling his transformation from a cornerboy to a rising rap star. The complete lack of percussion (besides the piano, if you want to get technical) doesn’t stop him from turning in a bravura performance on the mic—in fact, the sparse instrumental only heightens the impact of his rhymes. Fans will be able to find They’ll Speak and much more on the artist’s Cognitive Dissonance: Part One street album. His first release as part of Lyor Cohen‘s newly-launched 300 label, the project is out now.
Update: We have added the Stephan Gray-directed visuals for Raz Simone’s They’ll Speak single.
Written by richard on 03/4/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.