Back in January, when Raz Simone stepped into the Booth with Don’t Shine, I noted the way in which the Seattle repper’s passion for movie scores had influenced his sound. Little did I know, just a few short weeks later we’d find him rhyming over a composition by renowned film composer Hans Zimmer. On new mixtape single They’ll Speak, Raz repurposes Time, the theme song from 2010 blockbuster Inception, to serve as the backdrop for emotionally raw bars chronicling his transformation from a cornerboy to a rising rap star. The complete lack of percussion (besides the piano, if you want to get technical) doesn’t stop him from turning in a bravura performance on the mic—in fact, the sparse instrumental only heightens the impact of his rhymes. Fans will be able to find They’ll Speak and much more on the artist’s Cognitive Dissonance: Part One street album. His first release as part of Lyor Cohen‘s newly-launched 300 label, the project is out now.
Update: We have added the Stephan Gray-directed visuals for Raz Simone’s They’ll Speak single.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.