Hmmm. Maybe I’m out of touch. Maybe it’s because I have tastes that exclude repetitious hooks for fear that folks are trying to hypnotize my mind like Three 6 Mafia. But I’ll serve the prince his plate. RayDawn, who is declaring royal supremacy with his first leak, Heir, from the upcoming mixtape Controlled Chaos 2, still has a little growing to do before he can take the throne. The SMKA, RocktheDub.com and YNotMyDream.com project gives the Pittsburgh-native a stage to deliver, but this has thrown me for a loop. Literally. Matching a Boyz II Men classicwith a familiar Atlanta-patterned bassline, Cashous Clay crafts an instrumental that, though a little repetitive for my taste, would sound right at home at a heavy Chevy car show. Though it’s unclear whether Ray’s off-cadence rhyming is amateur or simply “his personal style,” I won’t write the prince off; given a little time, he just might develop that offbeat flow into something heads will love. We’ll see on April 29, when Controlled Chaos 2 drops….that is, if the peasants don’t behead him.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 03/21/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.