Hmmm. Maybe I’m out of touch. Maybe it’s because I have tastes that exclude repetitious hooks for fear that folks are trying to hypnotize my mind like Three 6 Mafia. But I’ll serve the prince his plate. RayDawn, who is declaring royal supremacy with his first leak, Heir, from the upcoming mixtape Controlled Chaos 2, still has a little growing to do before he can take the throne. The SMKA, RocktheDub.com and YNotMyDream.com project gives the Pittsburgh-native a stage to deliver, but this has thrown me for a loop. Literally. Matching a Boyz II Men classicwith a familiar Atlanta-patterned bassline, Cashous Clay crafts an instrumental that, though a little repetitive for my taste, would sound right at home at a heavy Chevy car show. Though it’s unclear whether Ray’s off-cadence rhyming is amateur or simply “his personal style,” I won’t write the prince off; given a little time, he just might develop that offbeat flow into something heads will love. We’ll see on April 29, when Controlled Chaos 2 drops….that is, if the peasants don’t behead him.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 03/21/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.