Hmmm. Maybe I’m out of touch. Maybe it’s because I have tastes that exclude repetitious hooks for fear that folks are trying to hypnotize my mind like Three 6 Mafia. But I’ll serve the prince his plate. RayDawn, who is declaring royal supremacy with his first leak, Heir, from the upcoming mixtape Controlled Chaos 2, still has a little growing to do before he can take the throne. The SMKA, RocktheDub.com and YNotMyDream.com project gives the Pittsburgh-native a stage to deliver, but this has thrown me for a loop. Literally. Matching a Boyz II Men classicwith a familiar Atlanta-patterned bassline, Cashous Clay crafts an instrumental that, though a little repetitive for my taste, would sound right at home at a heavy Chevy car show. Though it’s unclear whether Ray’s off-cadence rhyming is amateur or simply “his personal style,” I won’t write the prince off; given a little time, he just might develop that offbeat flow into something heads will love. We’ll see on April 29, when Controlled Chaos 2 drops….that is, if the peasants don’t behead him.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 03/21/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.